Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Option to Suffer

I've been thinking a lot about suffering. I was told by a therapist that suffering for me is like breathing. I hated hearing it, and she's right. Since then I've let go of some of it, and I continue to work. I've been unhappy with myself lately, though, and suffering because of it. I'm a jackass in my car. I'm impatient and rude and obnoxious. I hate admitting that. Not all the time, but often. It's a great indicator of my spiritual condition. I used to take pride in letting folks in front of me because I didn't care to get there sooner. I was going to a lot more meetings then - reading spiritual literature often. Hmmm - not rocket science. But knowing what I need to do to make my life better doesn't mean I do it.

I've just started working with a personal coach (check out www.candyspitz.com). She and I talked last week and came up with a great plan of all these things I was going to do - I did a couple of them, but not consistently. I have been working on being more physically active. I did some fitness walking in the concourse yesterday, ran up three flights of stairs and a couple times this week did the Walk at Home video by Leslie Sansome. (I like it because there aren't any complicated moves for those of us who are coordination-challenged - you mostly just...walk. It's not a bad workout as I'm getting into shape.) Other than that, I didn't do much to come closer to the life I want to create. And I'm trying to let that be OK.

But I was still suffering. Until a friend emailed me a link to a video of time lapse video of the sky. Watching it and listening to the sweet music - I realized I was breathing deeply for the first time since I don't know when. So why doesn't being outdoors here - or the surrounding areas - make me feel that connected? Is it because I'm usually out in nature with my wife, so I'm not focused on being spiritual and introspective? I want to blame it on the city I live in, which is not pretty. But I know how false blame is. So what's it about? Do I need to set a different tone when we're out walking in the woods?

I sometimes mess with my own mind with thoughts like, "The sun'll burn out in a billion years - it's so far away it's not worth worrying about. But what will the people who are here (if there are any) do?" Then I think about human beings becoming extinct - as we almost certainly will - and that feels disconcerting too. What will it be like as we die off? Like some science fiction story. So it's odd that looking at the sky - which triggers scary, disorienting thoughts like those - made me feel calm, but it did. In the end there is always the sky and the earth, and not much else matters. I'm part of the universe. That's enough.

No comments: