Saturday, November 1, 2008

Adrenaline Junkie on a Fear High

David Sedaris on undecided voters:

I look at these people and can't quite believe that they exist. Are they professional actors? I wonder. Or are they simply laymen who want a lot of attention?

To put them in perspective, I think of being on an airplane. The flight attendant comes down the aisle with her food cart and, eventually, parks it beside my seat. "Can I interest you in the chicken?" she asks. "Or would you prefer the platter of shit with bits of broken glass in it?"

To be undecided in this election is to pause for a moment and then ask how the chicken is cooked.

________________________________________________________

I just got back from Indiana knocking on doors to get the vote out. I came back feeling very hopeful. The person with whom I canvassed told me that in early voting, Obama has a 21% lead. How anyone knows that is a mystery to me, but that's the rumor. My canvassing partner also told me that the conservative newspaper in Indiana endorsed Obama too. So it was beginning to feel like a public opinion landslide, if not a voting landslide. Then I came home and opened my email to find this from the Obama campaign:

"Here's some ominous news: In the last week, Obama's lead in the national tracking polls has dropped by almost three points (emphasis added). If it keeps dropping, we could be looking at four years of President McCain and Vice President Palin.

Now, don't panic yet. Obama's still ahead. But if you thought it didn't matter whether you helped the campaign this weekend, think again. The election looks like it'll be very, very close. If folks start thinking that Obama's got this one licked, and he doesn't really need their vote, we could be in big trouble.

To win, Obama needs a flood of volunteers in swing states to bring in every possible vote. You can help Obama recruit those volunteers right now—by calling MoveOn members in swing states with our easy-to-use website and asking them to volunteer. All you need is a phone and a computer with internet. Try it for five minutes, and trust us, you'll be hooked.

Don't get mad, don't get scared—get to work. Obama needs us now. "

What the hell is wrong with this country?


No comments: