Thursday, February 12, 2009

Breathing Again

My dad is home after the neurosurgery and I've talked to him briefly a couple times.

The radiologist who consulted with Dad before he left the hospital was hopeful that Dad could be around for a couple of years. We won't know more about his health until he goes in - a couple weeks from now - to look at options (what balance of chemo and radiation to do).

My uncle and my brother are there now, then my stepbrother will visit, then my brother again (he's in SF, which is 3 hours from Reno). There are lots of logistics to figure out - Dad can't see much out of his left eye. He apparently is crashing around because he's unsteady, which would be funny except it's not. He will probably never drive again, though alive and not driving is OK by me. They will have to figure out how to get him out of the house so he's not totally dependent on his partner to go everywhere.

Dad said I should not fly out in March("the weather's lousy here in March") as I planned to. I'm waiting for an opinion from my brother about whether it would be helpful if I was there, regardless of the weather. He said he'll know more after he goes back there next week.

He's just as ornery as ever - he had a friend bring Kentucky Fried Chicken to the hospital. I can breathe again.

No comments: