Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"Back Away From the Candy Machine"

I was walking my dog tonight and realized I feel frustrated by my interactions with him sometimes. I snap at him, when I know that my wife, a dog trainer, would say "Leave it" in a way that was authoritative without being mean, and he would obey. I don't know how to do that.

I realized tonight that the problem isn't my sharp tone. It lies further back than that. He was pulling on his lead to smell something. I tugged his lead slightly and said, "Leave it". Almost tentatively. I was being nice and hoping he'd obey. That's like asking your young child to obey you- which, needless to say, doesn't work. So the problem is not that I snap at him the second time. It's my tone and manner the first time that needs to change. If I say it like I mean it the first time, I may not have to say it a second time. (In theory, anyway. I'm new at this dog ownership thing. I'll have to see how it goes.)

This reminded me of the candy machine analogy. Years ago someone told me that once we're standing in front of the candy machine, the battle's already lost. We have to create a life and spirituality that meets our needs completely enough that we don't end up staring at a Snickers bar trying not to buy one. I'm not sure how that applies to some of the current challenges in my life, but I suspect there could be some revelations if I pay attention.

No comments: