Thursday, October 16, 2008

Reality, so to speak.

I have a headache today and since I sort-of not-really occasionally believe in mind/body stuff, I've given some thought as to why my head hurts. I think I've been thinking too much. Or holding too many contradictory thoughts at the same time. (Let's be real - I also need to get more sleep.)

I have a philosophical dilemma. Coming from a background working in the counseling field, I know that perception is reality. I don't want to dismiss Republican's beliefs - if I do, I'm being closed-minded and hateful, which I don't want to be. I like to think that Democrats are more open-minded. How does that fit with the absolute knowledge that we're right about wanting Obama to be elected?

I've been trying to reconcile - or at least understand - how both Republicans and Democrats can have their truths - their realities - and yet Republicans are wrong. Just as we think many people who vote Republican are deluded, many Republicans think that about Democrats. How can we both be right - all the while knowing in my soul that the Republican platform as I understand it is just plain wrong. I don't have an answer (other than get 8 hours of sleep and think about it in the morning).

I do know I'm continuing to take the next actions - I'm heading to Indiana this weekend to knock on doors for Obama, even though I hate doing it and I don't believe he's going to win. (Just received an email from the Obama camp pointing out that Gore was 10 points ahead in the polls at this point too. My point exactly.) I do know that telling myself he's not going to win is a feeble attempt to make myself feel less pain on November 5th. It'll hurt less if I don't believe it will happen, right? Probably not. It's gonna suck whether I let myself feel hope or not. From a mindfulness be-here-now perspective I should just allow myself to hope in this moment and deal with the results when they come in. I'm not sure I can.

I was telling people to pray without ceasing:I said I don't care what you pray to, I don't even care if you don't believe - pray anyway. But I've changed my mind. Don't pray. Go make phone calls and knock on doors - we have no time to spare and we need all the votes we can get.

No comments: