Sunday, October 26, 2008

Life in an Alternate Universe

The events of the past couple weeks would make a great opening for a science fiction story. First a major newspaper (the Chicago Tribune), which has never endorsed a Democratic candidate for president, does so. Shortly after that a highly respected national Republican political and military figure (Colin Powell) endorses the same candidate. Then - even more unbelievable - a small town, conservative newspaper in a semi-rural Midwestern community follows suit. That's right - in the Election 2008 edition of Believe It or Not, the Pantagraph endorsed Barack Obama for president today.

Apparently, I'm living in an alternate reality (also called John McCain's nightmare).

I'd be OK if I'm wrong in my doom saying about Barack's chances. And while I'm still in the I'll-believe-it-when-I-see-it club, I am looking into the possibility of attending the Inauguration in January. (A few days ago my wife told me I have election-related bipolar disorder. She was only half kidding, and she was more than half right.)

What's next - a landslide victory? (We've moved into the realm of fairy tales now.) Keep the faith - more will be revealed, as people in recovery say.

No comments: